Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A Day In the Life Of a Common American (Peasant)

McKenzie and I are currently somewhat obsessed with all things British. Recently, we've been seeking out certain delicacies and vittles, if you will, that might be common to the British diet.

I myself am quite interested in the day-to-day of the typical Brit's routine. Or even more interesting, the British meal. I know that customarily their meals are referred to as 'breakfast, supper and tea'. But is there still an afternoon tea? When, customarily, does this particular event occur? Is an afternoon tea had every day or is it only on weekends and holidays? And speaking of holidays, why do they call vacationing 'going on holiday'? 

I suppose my fascination takes root with the desperate desire for knowing what a different culture would be like. As far as I know, some of our friends from across the pond feel similarly about we Americans. They find our Big-Macs and Pizza Huts as interesting as we find their meat pies and Digestives. But if there happens to be a Brit reading this particular post, I can assure you that our daily life is just as uneventful as yours. This is what a day in the life of a common American is like:

I awoke to my alarm, blaring out of the speakers of my phone at exactly 6:29. (I sometimes tend to set my alarm at odd intervals, just to annoy the obsessive compulsive inside of me). I pressed snooze, knowing that my alarm would go off in ten more minutes. A then another ten. At 7:00, a new alarm went off. This particular alarm would now sound every three minutes until I finally got my butt out of bed. Generally this happens around 7:21, if I must be at work by 8:00 AM, which today I did.

I will spare you the details of my hurried attempt to be presentable, but rest assured, it was not well done. I arrived at work (a local restaurant, known as Village Inn) at 8:15, shuffling in as if I'm still asleep.

"Oh, sorry, Sarah," I said. "I didn't realize I was so late."

The new girl, Sarah, was placing freshly baked pies into the pie case. I could smell the sweet golden scent of the crust that covered my favorite pie, Strawberry Rhubarb, mingling with the pleasant aroma of the Cherry Pie, along with the most dominant scent of the Peach Pie. The bouquet that the mix of these delicious desserts often makes my mouth water and instantly I crave a slice, topped with a scoop of icecream or a dollop of whip cream. Today, however, I was too bothered by my lack of sleep, my disappointing appearance and the fact that I was fifteen minutes late, to even notice the delicious fragrance. 

"It's okay," Sarah replied pleasantly. "You haven't missed much." Sarah had been at work since 5:30 AM and had had a proper amount of time to wake up. She's a very nice girl, or woman I should say since she is twenty-three. She has been employed with us for approximately four weeks and I've come to enjoy her company very much. Today, however, I was too tired for pleasantries or conversation. Once settled in, I made my way to the back to prepare a blessed cup of coffee for myself and begin the morning paperwork. 

Two cups of coffee and thirty minutes later, I finally became coherent. I walked about the building, greeting fellow employees and getting updates about progress. Today, I was in charge (off the a great start, huh?) and had several responsibilities and delegations that were required of me. After setting up the day and finishing the morning paperwork, I made my way back to the front to join Sarah.

Our day was enjoyable, though not eventful, and my work day had come to a close. I was thankful to leave and get on with doing the one thing that makes my life complete: reading.

After a quick stop to the library with McKenzie (a new oasis that has been right under our noses and will be severely blogged about in the future) and a grocery store run, I finally made my way back to my little house.

My golden retriever, Bette Davis Jr. was very happy to see me when I came through the door. Her whole back end wagged along with her tail as she let out small playful growls around a dirty, mangled, stuffed cow that happens to be her favorite toy. 

After several minutes of playtime, I rushed to my bedroom to throw on some pajamas and then rushed to the kitchen to prepare myself a cup of tea (trying too hard to be British?). Feeling completely satisfied, I settled onto the couch, 'Outlander' in hand, my tea nearby and my wonderful dog resting happily near my feet. The perfect evening.

After about five minutes of reading, I began to doze and almost dropped my book in my lap. 

"Urggghhh!" I groaned. "I just want to READ!"

Unable to stay awake, I stumbled into my bedroom and fell asleep.

Thankfully, fifteen minutes later, my husband, Dustin, called me on his break from work and woke me from my nap. After a few minutes of conversation, we hung up so that he could eat his lunch (or dinner... or if you're in the UK, tea). Unable to go back to sleep (thankfully or else I won't sleep tonight) I rose from bed and went to clean the kitchen. After the dishes were done, I sat down on my couch, my trusty laptop (Tardis is her name) in hand, and I typed out this post.

So, dear friends who answer to Her Majesty and others with sleep trouble, I assure you that The Life Of a Common American is certainly uninteresting, if not uneventful. However, I happen to have a pretty good life, and honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment