Saturday, September 20, 2014

Missing My Childhood- Remembering Children are Monsters


I suppose I shouldn't miss my childhood. Looking back I was pretty weird. (Shut it Sherylyn... I know I still am!!) But if you could imagine, I was even weirder- yet I never gave it a second thought. I lived in my pretend world and that was okay. Now it worries me. Now I do give it a second thought. 
Today though was a little different. I let my inner child out if not for one more day. I swung on the playground, I climbed to the top of the metal house, I slid down some sides, yet not alone- mind you! I still have some sort of pride. No, I took a few little buddies of mine to the park and I'm pretty sure I had more fun than they did. Yet still- at 17- I was frightened of doing anything that "broke the rules". I swung on my bottom, I went down the slide the right way, and I climbed safely and without danger to my fellow students. Yeah I was a pretty lame kid. The craziest thing I ever did was swing upside down on the monkey bars. And the first time I fell and hit my head was the last time I took any risks. #rebel #iNeedARedo #safetyMonitor
In addition to my recklessness at the park I also challenged two little boys in the neighborhood to a friendly game of soccer. FALSE! I do not play "friendly". If you can't take the heat get out of the doghouse...wait or is it oven...kitchen? (Another thing I was never good at was remembering those common sayings everyone says...yet doesn't quite know where it came from...yeah I usually butcher those.) Anywho- I dominated. Is this some sort of problem I have? That i feel extremely competitive with little kids? Eh, I'm not gonna worry  about it...
Well after the wild and crazy day I had I decided that I COULD take the heat and decided I would spend some time in the kitchen. My mission?
Chocolate sheet cake...with....WITH....!!!!! 

BROWN BUTTER ICING!!!!!!!!!
So you think I'm overreacting??! Do ya?? Then you don't even know!!
Brown butter is something I discovered last year and I haven't recovered. It is such a beautiful thing. And I thought butter couldn't get any better- then BAM! After a few minutes of toasting in the stove and it becomes more than you have ever imagined it could be.
I feel a monument should be dedicated in its honor. 
A huge butter sculpture or butter. 
Basically a ginormous slab of butter... That people can come and look at. It would be elected for mayor. And win! And it would bring nations together and finally bring the world peace!
Thank you Mayor Brown Butter. 
We owe you a lot sir. 

Recipe for : Mayor Brown Butter Icing (adapted from the great Martha Stewart) 
Ingredients:
4 tbsp butter (it can be cold yet room temp melts better- but it's up to you!)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract (I use Mexican- any is fine though)
1 to 2 tbsp milk
Pinch of salt 

Step 1: place a suave pan on the stove and set the heat to medium. Place butter in the pan. After the butter is melted turn the heat up to medium- high. Don't worry if it starts popping- just be careful!
Step 2: proceed to cook the butter until it is light brown- caramel color. (When you place a spoon in there should be foam, light brown butter, and black bits). If you see this- you're doing it right. If not- then maybe cooking isn't for you...
Step 3: Pour the butter into a bowl. Dump in the powdered sugar. Stir or whisk until combined. Add the vanilla extract and the salt. Whisk. Add in 1 tbsp of milk at a time until you reach a consistency that the icing is spreadable yet not runny. 
Step 4: Bathe in it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment